Staff writer, Cleveland Scene Magazine.
–Work phone: 216.802.7207
–Work email: email@example.com
-Work address: 1468 West 9th St, Suite 805, Cleveland, OH 44113
This is the portfolio website for journalist Doug Brown, staff writer for Cleveland Scene magazine (as of July 2013). Investigative work — getting public records and developing sources to uncover important stories — is my passion.
I have also worked for Deadspin.com investigating stories about college sports, interned with the Cleveland Plain Dealer, and was an award-winning investigative reporter for the Daily Kent Stater. For more details of my work and education history, click here.
In June 2013, I finished graduate journalism school at the Kent State School of Journalism & Mass Communication, where I was on the reporting and editing track, focusing on convergence media. I graduated with a B.A. in political science from Hiram College in May 2010.
For updates and links to recent stories, visit my blog page. For all other information, click the icons on the left.
My best feature work of 2013:
- “Degenerate, Inc.: The Paranoid and Obsessive Life of a Mid Level Bookie” (Cleveland Scene).
- “Turmoil at the Museum: Inside the Affair, Suicide and Abrupt Resignation That Rocked the Cleveland Museum of Art” (Cleveland Scene” (Cleveland Scene)
- “Inside the Biggest Heroin Bust in Cleveland History” (Cleveland Scene)
- “Worth More Dead Than Alive” (Cleveland Scene)
- “The Never-Ending Pain of the Boy Scouts’ ‘Perversion Files’” (Cleveland Scene Magazine)
- “I’m Down For Drinks, Laughs, Sex”: The Sexual Harassment Claims That Brought Down Toledo’s Running Coach (Deadspin)
- “Dangerously Excessive”: How Washington State Football Confronted, And Didn’t Confront, The First Bad News Of The Mike Leach Era (Deadspin)
- How North Dakota Lost Its Mind Over A “Choke Job” (Deadspin)
Less serious college sports public records stories of 2013: