I’ve been a news reporter for the Portland Mercury for a little more than a year now. Listed below are the pieces I like the most between March 28, 2016, and March 28, 2017, with *** next to pieces I’d particularly like to highlight.
In the summer and fall of 2016, in a series of reports, I exposed that the killer of a black teenager was in a white supremacist gang. After my reporting, prosecutors sent the murder case back to a grand jury, which re-indicted Russell Courtier, a 38-year-old white career criminal who killed Larnell Bruce, with additional hate crime charges. Here’s my reporting.
- August 22, 2016: The Portland Man Accused of Murdering A Black Teenager Is Connected to A White Supremacist Gang. My first post, right after Courtier was indicted for murder, based off Facebook pictures showing Courtier’s connection with European Kindred. Police didn’t release a motive for the killing.
- ***August 31, 2016: A Black Teen Was Run Down in Gresham; His Killer Is in a Notorious Oregon White Supremacist Prison Gang. This is the post that made national news. I obtained 82 pages of Courtier’s prison discipline records, documenting he’s been in European Kindred member since at least 2003. It was picked up by the Washington Post, Huffington Post, People, and many other outlets.
- September 13, 2016: New Hate Crime Indictment For The White Supremacist Charged In Black Teen’s Murder in Gresham. My reporting led the indictment of Russell Courtier on hate crime counts. The story went national again.
- ***October 26, 2016: Prosecutors Say the Racist Who Ran Down Larnell Bruce ‘Cannot Be Rehabilitated’: He Was Let Off the Hook for a Violent Assault Just Last Year. I got Russell Courtier’s probation/parole file and showed that prosecutors originally missed a barroom assault that he admitted to in 2015. If he was charged with that assault, he wouldn’t have been able to kill Larnell Bruce.
- November 23, 2016: Russell Courtier, The White Supremacist Accused of Killing Larnell Bruce, Indicted for 2015 Assault. A grand jury finally indicted Courtier for the assault I reported prosecutors missed.
- November 9, 2016: Cops Helped A Massive Anti-Trump Protest Shut Down I-5 on Wednesday
- November 10, 2016: Some Portland Protesters Commit Widespread Property Damage as Anti-Trump Rally Sours
- November 16, 2016: Portland Despises Donald Trump With a Special Passion
- ***January 25, 2017: Police Blasted and Tear Gassed an Inauguration Day Protest
- February 1, 2017: Four Years of This Shit
- ***February 22, 2017: Roughed Up: Portland Police Arrest 13 in Crackdown of “Unpermitted” President’s Day Protest
- March 22, 2017: Gas, Grenades, and Pepper Spray
- April 6, 2016: After a Chaotic Meeting, a Big Part of Portland Police Oversight Is on Hold
- April 27, 2016: After a No-Show, Police Watchdogs Are Forcing Cops to Appear
- May 14, 2016: Portland Wiccans for Bernie
- May 25, 2016: Left for Dead?
- ***June 15, 2016: Monkey Business: How a Forest Grove Man Indicted for Selling Endangered Animal Parts Helped Bust His Malaysian Suppliers
- June 22, 2016: “Bomb Train” Blowup
- July 13, 2016: Kicked to the Curb
- July 27, 2016: “Practice Peace but Prepare for War”
- September 28, 2016: “His Word Against Mine”
- ***October 5, 2016: The Feds and State Are Targeting a “Suspicious” Portland Methadone Clinic
- ***October 19, 2016: The Portland Police Bureau Has Been Quietly Documenting Encounters with the Mentally Ill
- ***November 22, 2016: A Controversial Portland Cop Improperly Spied on Her Former Stepdaughter
- December 14, 2016: Multnomah County Was Supposed to Decrease Jail Spending
- December 21, 2016: Portland’s 911 System Has a Gaping Flaw
- February 15, 2017: A Busy, Bloody Thursday